- It uses the Newton Internet Enabler (NIE 1.1 or NIE 2.0), so it will only work with Newton 2.0 or better.
- It works with MP120 (just about), MP130, MP2000, MP2100 and eMate.
- It takes up only 163K store space.
- It’s free!
SimpleMail gives you the standard functions you’d expect from a text e-mailer, plus:
- MIME compliance, enabling you to send and receive attachments
- Send packages to and from other Newtons and your desktop
- Send Notepad sketches to other Newtons, or as GIF images to anybody
- Receive and play back audio in four different formats
- Receive and view JPEG and GIF images
- Limit the number of messages to receive
- Ignore, abbreviate, delete or file incoming mail depending on criteria you set
- Language support
- Available with support for Newton Text Encoding (NTE) plug-in modules, enabling reception of Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Cyrillic, etc
- Localized for German and Swedish
- Text utilities
- Rewrap received text to fit the Newton display
- Display HTML as styled text
- Multiple accounts per owner
- Check all your e-mail accounts in one connection
- Worksite setups for roaming
- Define an SMTP server for a worksite, so you can tie an ISP (an NIE link) to its SMTP server
SimpleMail includes very limited support for IMAP. If you want a full IMAP solution, try Mail V.
These packages are provided as StuffIt archive and Newton package for your downloading convenience.
SimpleMail 4.3 [163K]
This archive contains everything you need for the standard version of SimpleMail. Alternatively, you can find the individual components contained in the archive on this page. There are several packages in the archive; you can simply install them all, or read the installation guide to be more selective. Please refer to the User Guide for operating instructions or visit the wiki to get started quickly.
Debug Version [172K]
This is the SimpleMail package only, with a Preferences option to capture debug information in a session log. You can use this to diagnose problems yourself, or send it to me for analysis.
Newton Text Encoding (NTE) Version [158K]
This is the SimpleMail package only, in a version that supports
Newton Text Encoding (NTE) modules. An NTE module encodes unicode text
for transport across the internet;
you can extend SimpleMail to e-mail Chinese, Japanese, Cyrillic, etc
by downloading and selecting the right NTE module. There’s more
information and some modules here.